B.F.A. in Digital Communication Design
BACHELOR OF FINE ARTS IN DIGITAL COMMUNICATION DESIGN (B.F.A.)
An International Double Degree Programme in Collaboration with Birmingham City University (BCU), England.
Silpakorn University International College (SUIC)
“A Pillar of SU’s Internationalization”
Silpakorn University (SU) was established in 1943 and is considered one of Thailand’s top public universities with over 20,000 students spread across 4 different campuses. Silpakorn offers degree programmes at both graduate and undergraduate levels in all major fields of study including: art and design, science, technology, health science, social science, management and music.
In 2003, Silpakorn University International College (SUIC) was founded in order to provide high quality English-driven undergraduate and graduate programmes. Currently SUIC specialises in providing double degree programmes in ‘Services’, ‘Business’ and ‘Art and Design’.
Birmingham City University
Birmingham City University provides not only traditional academic programmes but also caters to the demands of ever evolving ones. The University has a very distinguished heritage particularly through the Institute of Art and Design which was founded in 1843, and equally has impressive plans for future development and growth. As an old polytechnic the institution was awarded university status in 1992 and has since grown into one of the most credible dynamic universities in the UK Today Birmingham City University is one of the biggest universities in the UK, with a student population from all backgrounds across the region, UK and the rest of the world.
VDO introduction of BFA in Digital Communication Design
- International Double Degree curriculum from two of the most experienced and prestigious universities in the field of Art and Design in their respective countries
- The programme emphasises developing the latest practical skills and theoretical knowledge in design technology.
- Qualified graduates can professionally apply the latest skills in the field of multi-media for the local and overseas market.
- Cross cultural awareness and professional development for a thought provoking, creative, successful career.
The course is considered an ideal starting point for any of the interesting and rewarding careers related to the visual design and media industry. These may include design; photography; illustration; multimedia; animation; video and sound production; television; publishing; the press and advertising.
This programme, which is concerned with the essential elements of visual design and mass communication, focuses on studio and workshop tuition led by a team of highly experienced design staff. The various modules of study are supported by an integrated programme of media theory and application, which introduces students to contemporary media practice and current professional design thinking in relation to mass communications.
New academic year starts every January and August. Please check with SUIC for application dates.
- A high school education level or equivalent from an accredited school or institution.
- English proficiency with a minimum TOEFL score of 500 PBT, 173 CBT or 61 IBT or IELTS score of 5.5 or SAT (reading and writing) score of 450 within 2 years of the application or pass SUIC’s English proficiency test. Applicants who are citizens from English speaking countries and use English as their primary language are exempt from the English language requirements.
- Portfolio Review
- Drawing and Design skills test
- Motivational interview
- A completely filled-in and signed application form, which can be downloaded at www.suic.org.
- A copy of high school level education transcript and diploma.
- A copy of government identification document for both the applicant and the parent: Passport (for foreign nationalities) or Identification Card (for Thai nationality)
- A copy of House’s Registration for both the applicant and the parent (for Thai nationality)
- A copy of official English language test score (if any)
- Four photos 1″ x 1.5″ of facing-forward and no sunglasses
- Application fee of THB 500. The applicant who applies by postal mail shall attach all required documents and a copy of bank deposit slip or a copy of money order mentioning the applicant’s name with the application form. The application fee can be paid through one of the following:
– Paid by cash when applying in person
– Money transfer to Silpakorn University International College account
Account Number :
Bank Name :
Bank Address :
Swift Code :Important! Do not forget to specify your full name on the transfer order.
Submit art and design portfolio including photographed and/or scanned works of art (such as paintings, drawings, sculptures, etc.) graphic, time-based, interactive, digital work on a CD or DVD (compatible with both PC and MAC).
Download a portfolio inventory sheet that indicated the title of work, medium/format, dimensions, date of completion, running time, software used, and any other related information about each piece in the portfolio. Label CD or DVD and case with your full-name, address, and phone number.
- Images should be saved as high quality JPEG files (with a file suffix or .jpg or .jpeg format), Adobe .pdf files, or digital portfolios created in PowerPoint, Director, flash or HTML.
- Images should be saved at 72 dpi screen resolution with a minimum height/width of 1,000 pixels.
- Digital portfolios should be checked to assure that links work properly and all necessary files are included.
- Students should indicate whether special instructions are necessary for the viewing of digital portfolios.
- An inventory sheet must be attached.
Moving Image Format
- Work should be submitted on a platform-independent player format or in Quick Time with the file suffix labeled as .qt or .mov (.mpeg format is also acceptable).
- Applications interested in presenting a film and television portfolio should submit work in a multimedia format or as a
- 5-minute sample on DVD.
- An inventory sheet must be attached.
ENGLISH AND INTERVIEW TESTS
Once the required documents have been received, students with the right criteria will be invited to attend an interview and for those who do not have the English language scores must take the SUIC English Proficiency test (Please check for the specific date). If students are unable to attend the interview, then they may be interviewed orally on webcam via SKYPE Video calling. Selected students for the programme will then be notified and a name-list will be displayed on SUIC’s website within 1 to 2 week after interviews.
OBTAINING A VISA TO STUDY IN THAILAND (FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS)
SUIC will send the letter of acceptance and an official note certifying the purpose of travel in Thai and translated copy in English to the applicant. The student then has to submit both the acceptance letter and all certified documents to the Royal Thai Embassy in their relevant country to ask for a NON-IMMIGRANT STUDENT VISA.
Remark : International students need to renew their visa after the first 90 days and report to immigration every 90 days.
REGISTRATION OF COURSES
Students will then be invited to register for the programme with Silpakorn University and pay the first semester’s tuition fees. SUIC staff will help guide you through this process.
ACADEMIC EXPENSES (IN THAI BAHT)